Saturday, 10 August 2013

DIY Chair!

Good afternoon Bloggers!

This week has been a productive DIY week for me and being the blogger I am I wanted to share some of my fixitups with you!

This week I created a nice little gold vase collection, and when I say collected I mean I digged them out from my storage cupboard where I keep all my projects to be, for my windowsill. I created my own welcome mat. I know everyone has their own personal welcome mat these days but that won't stop me from sharing with you! And I managed to finish my braided rug. All of these projects I will be sharing with you of course but first I want to share the project I am most proud of!

I have wanted one of these chairs for ages, but I never seem to find them whenever I go to thrift stores.
I found this particular one at a thrift shop just as they were going to throw it away! Apparently it had been standing in the rain for quite some time and they gave up hope of anyone ever buying it! Now I know a challenge when I see one and scooped it up for 2euros!

Now the first thing you need to do is sand the chair down properly. And I mean real properly! It took me about 5 days to get the chair nice and smooth for me to paint. It kind of depends on how long you can sit still, I can't for very long, so sanding time can vary. 

After sanding it it's really important to paint it with a (light) primer. This to make sure that the paint you want to use will stick and not flake off. I sprayed my chair twice with a white primer. 

Now for the tricky part: choosing a colour! I live with my boyfriend and he lets me get away with lots of antics, but a light pink chair was crossing the line ;) We settled for a nice orange colour by molotow urban fine-art acrylic spraypaint. I chose to spray the chair because of the many details it has. Painting with a brush could have caused the paint to drip. And it would have taken me ages to finish aswell! 
Make sure to choose a well vented area, if possible paint the chair outside and be sure to cover the ground, and the flowers!, with a sheet. I covered the chair with one can of spraypaint to get the look seen in the picture. 

Make sure to let the chair dry in a dry, non-humid space so the paint can settle properly.




I love way it has turned out and it's really brightens up our room! I found these great black&white pillows from Ikea that look stunning on the chair and makes it all come together. 

Now. What else can I paint..?

xox Elena






No comments:

Post a Comment