Okay so a few days ago I posted my DIY orange chair and I mentioned some other projects that I had been working on during that week. One of those projects was my DIY braided rug. I got the idea from the blog A Beautiful Mess. You guys definitely have to check the blog out, they have amazing DIY projects, recipies, and tips for re-decorating your house! They have inspired me to do more with the items I have lying around the house and to create more homemade items!
So, I decided to start this time-consuming project a few weeks ago. It took me quite a while to finish it but I decided to take my time with it as I had a few other projects going on at the time.
What you need for the rug:
- Enough pieces of fabric to cut into strips for your braids. Make sure you pick colours that go together and will match with the rest of your house.
- A piece of canvas to act as a base for the rug
- Textile glue
- Scissors
- Wool and sewing needle
-Cellotape
I started with cutting the pieces of fabric into long strips to make the braids. This is the step that takes the most time and the most patience. After you have cut the fabric into the amount of strips that you want, you can start braiding!
I started making the braids sitting down but found that the braids weren't flat but round. This makes is difficult later on to glue the plaits onto the canvas. To make the plaits flat I clamped the plait I was working on onto our table. That way I was basically working toward myself and doing that pulling the plait flat.
You keep going until you have made all the plaits you need for the rug. To keep the plaits together tie the ends with a piece of cellotape to keep them from falling apart. Just a tiny bit will do as you they need to be taken off easily later on.
Cut your piece of canvas to size you want and you can start glueing the braids on! Make sure to use enough fabric glue. I found this makes the rug sturdier when finished. Glue the plaits onto the rug making sure that they stick out at least 5 cm on either side. That way if some of the plaits are longer than other you can easily make them all the same length afterwards by cutting them to size you like.
Let the glue dry properly for as long as it takes and remove the cellotape from the braids. Now you sew the braids onto the canvas by using the wool and the needle. Cut the ends of the rug so they are even on both ends. And there you have it! Your very own braided rug!
It's such a fun little project to do if you have the time and it makes such a beautiful little item for in the bedroom, hallway, kitchen or living room!
To check the original post go to ABeautifulMess.typepad.com and be inspired!
xox Elena
No comments:
Post a Comment