Wednesday, 4 September 2013

DIY Infused sugar

I love tea and I love coffee. I especially love it when they have that little extra added to them to make it just that more tastier! On A Beautiful Mess blog I found this amazing way to create your own flavoured sugar without all the hassle. It doesn't take much work just a little patience! 
They are not only delightfull to have for yourself but putting the sugar in a cute little jar or container can make for a great personal present for someone you love!

What you need:
Sugar
Containers or jars
Your desired herbs and flavours

Put the amount of sugar you want into the container and add the herb and/or flavour of choice! I used my mint leaves, cinnamon sticks and aniseed. For approx. half a kilo of sugar I used 4 sticks of cinnamon, about 4 aniseed and half a bunch of mintleaves. Not all in the same jar of course, although if that rocks your boat go ahead!
Of course you can add more or less than what I did, it depends on how strong you want the flavour to be.
Make sure the jars you use can be sealed properly otherwise you might not get the desired effect.

And then for the hard part! You need to wait at least 2-3 weeks for it to be ready! I know, it's quite a while! 
Every now and then give the jars a little shake to get the flavours mixing properly.


But believe me, when you open those jars after a few weeks and get a whiff of those lovely smells, all will be good! 

I use my sugars for my coffee, especially the aniseed sugar is to die for! I found that they kind of take away from the taste of the tea I drink, which is the whole reason you buy tea basically. So coffee is my choice of drink with this.

After a few weeks I just left the seeds and herbs in the jar to infuse a little more. It also just looks pretty on the kitchen shelf!
And just imagine the flavours you can create! Next I'm going to try a grapefruit and a lavender infused sugar, here's to success!

Super easy and it's also made with stuff lying around the house! What more could you want?!

Happy Diy'ing!

Xox Elena



No comments:

Post a Comment