Sunday, 6 October 2013

Light my fire DIY candles

I have always wanted to make my own candles but for some reason thought it to be too much work. This is so not the case as I found out!Making candles is fun, easy and during those long cold winter nights make your house look that much cosier:)
On my first go I made my candles by melting small pieces of candles that had seen their best days. On my other go I made the candles using beeswax that I ordered online.

Needed for making candles:
-Pieces of old candles that are left over and/or beeswax
-Teacups and/or glass jars
-An old pan
-Candlewicks
-Wooden skewers
Before you start making the candles it's a tip to cut the wicks to the desires size. You want the wicks to reach the bottom of the jar/cup and they need to stick out approx 1 1/2 cm above the wax to burn properly. Cut the wicks a bit longer than you need them to be as you will need to tie them onto the skewer. When fixed to the skewers place aside to use later on.

To get started you need to melt the candlewax or beeswax in a pan. Be sure to use an old pan or buy one in a second hand shop. I can guarantee you that the pan you use will not be usable after this project so getting a cheap one at a thrift store is a tip!

Make sure to keep the fire low so the wax can melt slowly and doesn't bubble. When the wax has melted pour a small layer into the teacup/jar and place the skewer with the wick into the cup/jar. Make sure the wick is in the middle and keep the wick in place until the wax is dry enough.

When the base has dried pour the rest of the wax into the jar until the desired height.
When the wax had dried to can remove the skewer and cut the wick if needed to make it about 1 cm tall.
And there you have it! Your selfmade candles to light up your house!
Now there are a few tips I can give you when making these candles. 
First of all I found using beeswax was way less messier and quicker than using old candles. The beeswax melts quicker and smells better as well!
Using 500 grams of beeswax I was able to make five candles.
Make sure to use a placemat or a newspaper to cover up your workplace. This project can get very messy!
You can place your selfmade candles into anything you want. I chose to use old teacups because I have loads just lying around the house that I don't use. And they look super cute as candles:)

Have fun with this DIY and thanks for letting me share!

Xox Elena






No comments:

Post a Comment